In the winter, a hot and flavorful soup can really warm you up. I love a good southwestern combination of flavors including black beans, corn and chicken. This is a quick and easy healthy favorite that feeds a nice sized group.
Tasty Tip: If you would like to have an extra “kick” , add thinly sliced fresh jalapenos and toss them on the top.
Tasty Tip #2: Garlic is a wonderful ingredient to add to your meals to promote overall health and boost immunity. The primary disease fighting nutrient found is garlic is called allicin. In order to activate this nutrient, you must use fresh garlic, chop (or press) it, and allow it to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before incorporating into your recipe.
Tasty Tip #3: Buy a whole rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store to save a TON of time! I like the rosemary seasoned one. Don’t worry about removing the skin, just chop it all up into bite-sized pieces. Just watch the bones!
Giraffe Soup Ladle
Make a statement the next time you serve soup with this whimsical but practical soup ladle that resembles a giraffe and is brightly colored. This ladle makes storing it a snap by simply standing it anywhere (use its feet) and saving more space. You can hang it on the wall by using the bend of the giraffe ladle.
Gail Pittman Siena Garland Soup Bowl
The next time you are serving soup, consider serving your Southwest Soup in a beautiful Gail Pittman Siena Garland Soup bowl, as featured in Southern Living. The bowl is both a beautiful and decorative soup or cereal bowl. This is a great gift idea for newlyweds or just as an addition to your collection of dinnerware.
Healthy Southwest Soup
- 1 32 ounce container of vegetable stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, cooked
- 1 16 ounce can of black beans, rinsed
- 1 16 ounce can of cut corn, rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 whole avocado, chopped into pieces
- 1 whole jalapeno, chopped thinly
- In a large soup pan, add stock, milk, and cream cheese over medium heat. Stir continually until cream cheese has melted.
- Pull meat from the chicken and chop into bite-sized pieces. Add to the soup mixture along with black beans and corn.
- Press garlic and set aside for 5 minutes then add to the soup mixture. Whisk in salt, pepper, onion powder, and flour until well combined. Cook on medium high heat until soup thickens. Enjoy!