It’s January in Illinois which means snow, freezing temperatures and a strong feeling that I need to get back onto a more healthy track of eating after the holidays. My mind kept focusing on a favorite that I knew will be received well here at home – baked potato soup. But, that didn’t exactly tie in with the “healthy” goal, so I started to consider cauliflower.
I must admit, cauliflower is NOT one of my favorite veggies, but I can usually knock a few sprigs back with a generous amount of ranch salad dressing. So, in an effort to keep trying new things, a creamy cauliflower soup topped with extra cheese and bacon bits was born.
The first question that usually comes out of my kid’s mouths when they get home is “What’s for dinner?” And, the second is “What time will it be done?” I wasn’t exactly sure how this soup would be received, so I just said, “We are having a creamy soup with cheese and bacon.” Luckily for me, they didn’t ask any other questions, and I had it already simmering on the stove in a big soup pot so the timing was perfect.
I admit, I was a bit skeptical that this vegetable soup would pass the “kid taste test”, and also be hearty enough to keep my growing teens “full”. However, I can happily report that it passed all the necessary tests and this recipe has risen to the occasion (although I had to double it).
Cuisinart 12-Quart Stockpot
Cooking a large batch of soup. It is a common occurrence for large families that when you make soups or chili you must make a lot of it. That is when y you need a large stock pot. I really like this Cuisinart 12-Quart Stockpot. This is very much a professional stockpot. Because of being made from aluminum, it heats evenly and eliminates “hot spots”. What is really nice is the Cool Grip Handle. The handle stays cool while on the stove top. There is also a helper handle that provides extra support and balance when lifting and pouring
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large sweet onion
- 3 leaves kale
- 1 head cauliflower large
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons crushed basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon real bacon bits optional
- Press garlic and set aside. Remove middle vein from kale and chop into very small pieces.
- In a medium sized soup pot, sautee onions and kale with butter over medium high heat until onions are caramelized and kale is bright green in color.
- Chop cauliflower into bite sized pieces and add to the pot with broth. Bring to a boil and cook for 8-10 minutes until cauliflower softens.
- Reduce heat to medium and blend with immersion blender until smooth. Add garlic, basil, onion powder, pepper, salt, and cream cheese.
- Stir occasionally until cream cheese has melted and soup has thickened. Top with bacon bits if desired and enjoy!