Green smoothies are a refreshing and healthy addition to anyone’s diet. Don’t let the green color scare you away. It is surprisingly sweet and delish.
All smoothies share a combination of fruit, liquid, add-ins, and sometimes ice. There are many different types of combinations. I like to measure what my body needs and then build the smoothie that targets those needs. This week I need energy!
So, I decided to create a smoothie that would give me energy, a good amount of fiber, and protein. I didn’t feel like something tropical, so went for a basic energizing green smoothie. For this one, I ended up putting it through the strainer and filtered out all of the extra little pieces of greens. It is tasty either way. I just felt like a smooth drink today.
Normally I don’t add ice, but since I didn’t have any frozen fruits I did add ice to this one. You will see the little crystal shards in the pic. Also, I added my little secret – maca powder.
What is Maca powder anyways?
- Maca is a plant that is native to Peru. It is commonly called Peruvian Ginseng and has become increasingly popular as an add-in to smoothies.
- The plant itself actually grows underground and can range in color from white to black. It is in the cruciferous vegetable family along with broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and kale.
- It is traditionally used to balance hormones, reduce stress, and provide extra energy and stamina.
- Maca is usually dried and used in a supplement form, but can also be found as a liquid.
Glowing Green Smoothie
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup kale
- 1/2 ripened banana
- 1/2 ripened avocado
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon maca powder
- 3/4 cup ice, optional
- In a blender add spinach and kale with 1/8 cup almond milk. Blend until greens are fully chopped and in very small pieces.
- Add the banana, avocado, remaining milk, and maca powder. Blend on medium speed until well incorporated. If you would like a smooth texture, strain smoothie through mesh strainer. Rinse blender and replace with strained smoothie mixture.
- If desired, add ice and blend until well incorporated.