Raw cake bites are a healthy and tasty alternative when you aren’t up for traditional cake. I was first introduced to them at a friend’s party. She was a super healthy person and just didn’t eat cake, period. However, she was human and shared that she did like sweets and wanted, no wait, needed, a sweet treat every once in a while.
That night she served a chocolate cake bite that was primarily dates and cocoa powder. I was pleasantly surprised with the taste. It tasted MUCH better than it looked. Afterwards, I started thinking about different types of cake flavors that I could craft into these little healthy bites.
The first cake that came to mind was carrot cake. Carrots, pecans, raisins, and cream cheese seemed to be the perfect combination for a base recipe. From there, I experimented with flavorings and spices to give the mixture the classic taste of a true carrot cake.
These little cake bites are by far one of the easiest recipes I have ever made. Interestingly, the food processor becomes your mixer and eventually everything can be tossed in together.
I ended up adding a little white chocolate drizzle on top to complete the dessert. Cold bites are good, but frozen are best! In this state, they are closest to an actual bready cake consistency. These bites are super fast and require NO cooking at all. The best part is that they can last up to a week in the refrigerator, or 14 days in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts about Carrots:
- Carrots are a particularly good source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K, potassium and antioxidants.
- They support weight loss and have been linked to lower cholesterol levels and improved eye health.
- Carrots rank low on the glycemic index. This index measures how quickly blood sugars raise after eating certain foods. Low glycemic foods are particularly helpful to diabetics.
Nutrition Facts about Pecans:
- Pecans are high in healthy unsaturated fat and eating a few each day can lower “bad” cholesterol.
- The USDA reports that pecans are the most antioxidant-rich tree nut and rank among the top 15 foods with the highest levels of age defying antioxidants.
- Pecans help improve brain function. Thiamine, copper, and manganese are minerals found to enhance functioning of the brain and all are found in pecans.
No Bake Healthy Carrot Cake Bites
Carrot Cake Bite Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup pecans
- 2/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup orange carrots
- 1 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces white chocolate
- In a food processor, add pecans and raisins. Mix until well combined. Add carrots and mix until carrot is in small pieces and fully incorporated.
- Add 1/2 cup of coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla to mixture and pulse until blended.
- Shape mixture into 1 1/2 inch bites and roll into the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut.
- Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Melt white chocolate in microwave. Settings will vary, but do not overcook or chocolate will seize. Pipe white chocolate over firm bites and allow to dry. Enjoy!